The purchase of your home was a large expense. Fortunately, cleaning and maintenance are the effective for protecting your investment. However, if you have one or more boys living in your house, keeping your space clean can be challenging. This can be even more overwhelming in the bathroom. If your bathroom has that unappealing boy smell, utilizing some tips and tricks can improve the odor. To get started, here are a few natural tips for removing and preventing that boy smell from your bathroom.
A walk down the cleaning aisle of your local store offers a large selection of toilet cleaning products. From tablets that you drop in to powdery scrubs and sprays, finding the best cleaner can be overwhelming.
Many of these toilet cleaners contain harsh ingredients including chlorinated bleach and hydrochloric acid. Cleaning with these chemicals can cause respiratory issues, irritation to the skin and eyes, and severe allergic reactions. While these cleaners are obviously harsh on your body, long-term use can also damage your toilet's porcelain or cause a backup in your toilet drain and sewage system.
To safely clean and remove the foul odors inside your toilet, consider these options:
- Vinegar – Each day, pour 2 cups of white vinegar into your toilet bowl. Use your toilet brush to swish the vinegar around and clean under the rim.
- Tea Tree Oil – Once a week, add 10 to 20 drops of tea tree essential oil into the toilet bowl. Swish the oil around and allow it to sit for a 30 minutes before flushing. Tea tree oil contains antibacterial properties that will kill odor-causing bacteria and create a more appealing aroma in your bathroom.
- Borax – If you notice discoloration inside your toilet, add ¾ cup of borax into the bowl. Use a brush to swish the borax around with the water. Allow it to rest for 30 minutes before flushing.
Once you clean your toilet bowl, you need to put some effort into the exterior parts of your toilet. This is especially important if you have young boys who struggle with their aim while using the bathroom. To naturally clean the exterior parts of your toilet, try this:
- Fill a bucket with 3 cups of warm water.
- Add 1 cup of baking soda and mix.
- Soak a sponge in the baking soda solution. Remove and wring out excess liquid.
- Use the sponge to wipe the exterior surfaces of your toilet. Be sure to clean the wall behind the toilet.
- Lift the toilet seat and wipe clean. Also, use the corner of your sponge to get in between and under the brackets. These small cracks and crevices are hiding spots for bacteria and a possible breeding ground for mold.
- Remove the cover off the tank. Clean the cover and top rim of the tank. Add 10 drops of tea tree oil to the water inside your toilet tank.
The majority of your bathroom cleaning adventure will focus on the toilet. However, mopping your floor is also necessary for removing the boy smell. Depending on the size of your bathroom, you can mop your floor by hand or using an actual mop. To get started, combine the following in a bucket:
- 3 cups of warm water
- 3 cups of white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
Use this solution to mop tile or linoleum floors. Be sure to dry your floor with a dry mop or cloth. If you have tile, combine 1 cup of water with ¼ cup of baking soda in a small bowl. Using the baking soda solution and a small brush, clean the grout between your tiles.
Tub and Shower
Cleaning your tub and shower is an obvious part of bathroom cleaning. Use this natural recipe inside your shower and tub each week to prevent odors from building up:
- 2 cups of white vinegar
- 1 cup distilled water
- 20 drops of tea tree oil
Combine in a spray bottle. Then, douse inside your tub and shower each week.
Of all the different areas of your home, odors accumulate in the bathroom most frequently. If you have one or more boys living in the house, odors will be even more prominent. Using these natural tips and tricks, you can remove and prevent that boy bathroom smell.